We’ve got a nice new theme working. Found it over at SmashingMagazine and took a few minutes to customize it. Got rid of the weird “kid” illustration and added that little shield logo. Swapped out some graphics here and there. Added a “featured” category and a “featured” column to the left, which will highlight what I consider important posts. There’s still a few kinks to work out, like the little corners being a level above the photo lightbox overlays and the categories spilling over in the bottom footer, but I’ll get it figured out. So, whatcha think?
- StadiumFantasium (@bbcardz) on What year is it?
- The Lost Collector on What year is it?
- GCA on What year is it?
- Brett Alan on What year is it?
- The Lost Collector on Scan Backlog
What up, holmes?
I like the new format a lot, but I’m not loving all of it. Here are a few ideas:
– I was totally confused by the “featured” section at first. Is there any way to call that out with a heading of some sort?
– When the window width is small, the page gets jacked. Beware!
– If the mailbox in the upper right isn’t going to work, it shouldn’t be there.
– This is a personal thing, but, the colors (and to a slightly lesser extent, the textures) are atrocious. They’re trendy, but not current trendy, like an antique trendy from a few years gone by (and not in the good way). The background image’s tiling is obvious. If you disagree, apologies, but if you agree: get into PS and work some of that Perry magic!
– Playing a little devil’s advocate, considering your “What’s wrong with people” post: shouldn’t your copyright info on the bottomline read more along the lines of “Content Copyright Matt Perry, Theme Designed by ***”? 🙂
– The layout, however, works well…it’s not typical and played-out. Which is good. It also gives you the ability to highlight your mounds of content. Good pick…now make it your own.
Good points bud! I just slapped it up there with minimal changes. I’ve put the old theme back up until I can make some changes in Photoshop. I’ve always been torn on the grunge. I never got into it, so it was new for me at least. And I kinda like the colors, well, the green anyway. Not too crazy about the orange, we’ll see what happens. What did you mean about the “Featured” section?
Mostly I liked the layout, but those boxes at the bottom are kinda bugging me. I dunno.
I had started a whole new theme from the ground up the other day but never got around to finishing it. It’s got an very textured fell with lots of old wood and paper.
Think I should finish that and go with that if it has enough potential?
I was talking about the “featured” column to the left, as mentioned in your post. Upon first coming to the new design, I was like “wtf is up with the double line of posts, with some of them repeating…this is borked” until I read the post, and got what was going on.
Yes, the JPG’s look is MUCH stronger…maybe you could marry the two together, to save yourself some work.