by Matt | Feb 27, 2006 | Personal
My folks are in town this week. Its great to see them. They add a interesting hilarity to my life. I love my folks, they crack me up, they’re real down to earth folks.
Anyway, they’re here. They’re basically just hanging out all week. Were actually at the mall of all places right now. I found a sweet little usb card reader for my camera SD cards. I also stumbled across the Penny-Arcade limited edition collection book at a Walden books of al weird things. It was a going out of buisness sale and I guess they had a few they never sold sitting out back. I got it for $10. I was floored.
We’re gonna check out the rodeo this week too. I can’t wait for food-on-a-stick. Possibly the greatest thing to happen to food.
by Matt | Feb 17, 2006 | Personal
Actual, real pictures this time. Apparently from a developer. Looking pretty good. I’ll be looking to upgrade when they release it. It’s supposed to be released to special pre-order people and also offered to those who have the big extended warrenty plan in July and the general public in August/September.
by Matt | Feb 15, 2006 | Personal
I don’t even have the proper vocabulary to express the rage I’m feeling at the moment. I can’t. Can’t think. Can’t even begin to reason this one. I need a drink…
by Matt | Feb 14, 2006 | Personal
A little news from the gaming front. EA has put out a community update that says briefly that the next patch (1.2) should be here “shortly”. Originally slated for the begining of this month, it now seems we’ll get the patch by the end of it. The folks over at TotalBF2 have a quick interview up with one of the EA guys talking about the improvements and what we can expect in the future. Here’s a run down of items we should be seeing in this patch:
- Dolphin Diving is no longer possible
- Players can no longer jump and shoot at the same time
- Prone Spamming is now fixed
- Sprint exploit is now fixed
- Helicopter now carry 8 missiles rather than 14
- TV-Guided missile now have a shorter range
- Damage decreased from M134
- Hit points on all air vehicles has been reduced
- AA missile lock has been improved
- All support kit weapons have been adjusted
- All Sniper rifles have been adjusted
- Sa80 has been adjusted
- G3A3 has been adjusted
- Reload while sprinting has been enabled
- Medic defibrillator paddles have been adjusted. They now reload while not in use.
- SCAR-L reload sound has been fixed
- Server setting to allow friendly fire to be off on mines without affecting other weapons.
- Server search filters now work properly
- Mines can no longer be destroyed with other explosives
- Bug in MP7 fire rate fixed. Ammo count increased and mag count and damage decreased
- Flash bang effect radius decreased
- Added unlocks for Sniper and AT kits
- Fixed a bug in terrain rendering with night vision, whereby terrain was still dark in dark areas.
- Fixed a bug whereby mods that are not bf2 or not xpack permutate shaders every time a level is loaded.
- Fixed a bug whereby non-xpack mods cannot use xpack shaders.
- Fixed bug in TV guided missiles of Havoc helicopter
- The LAV25 now no longer shoots through penetrable materials.
- Vehicles no longer disappear when viewed from some vehicles with a HUD (e.g. Tanks).
- Performance gain found in static mesh rendering.
- Detonation radius from grenade launcher explosions has been reduced.
- Grenade launcher projectiles now have a minimum distance.
- Fixed bug with capturing a flag from outside of the flag radius.
- Fixed map selection screen issue on Wetlands
- Being able to pass through walls using a spinning tank turret has been fixed. It has also been address on all rotating vehicle positions just to be safe.
- Tanks taking damage from the terrain has been reduced
- The Red/Blue nametag bug has been addressed
- The disappearance of tank projectiles and grenade launcher projectiles during online play has been improved and should occur less frequently
- The distance for throwing hand grenade, ammo packs, and health packs has been increased
There’s a few things in there I’ve been waiting for and should signifigantly impact game play for the better. There’s also a few I disagree with. The top 4 items are welcome changes since they all address aggrivating infantry combat issues. “Jumping while firing” is at the top of MY list and hopefully this will put an end of the endless “bunny hoppers” who jump around like morons thinking they’ll get hit less if they do, all the while, spraying everything in sight with poorly aimed bullets. This is not Quake, please don’t try and rocket jump. Thank you.
The next two issues I’m torn on. Helos now carrying less ammo and those weapons having less distance. First off, let me explain the PROPER roll of a helocopter in combat. It’s job isn’t to fly into a major conflict, spraying the ground with rockets, swoop upwards, turn around, and do it all over again. That A) Doesn’t work very well and B) Leads to far more TKs than nessisary. What a good helo pilot and gunner should do is circle the outskirts of said conflict and take out enemy helos and large armor. That’s what helos are for, anti-armor. They are not anti-personel, or at least, they’re not supposed to be. What most people complain about are “base raping” helos, who sit high above, raining missles below. This will hopefully be resolved with the “AA lock-on improved” bug fix. If AA is improved, I don’t see the need to nurf the power of the helos.
The only other bug fix I’d like to bring up is the grenade launcher change. The “splash damage”Â radius has been reduced, which is more than welcome. People would run around with the “noob tube” as people call it, and take aim at the ground below, wall beside or behind a player and fire away. The splash damage was so high that it was pretty much a guaranteed kill, even if you missed by a mile.
Hopefully, all these changes will help with some of the more aggrivating BF2 issues. We’ll see.
by Matt | Feb 7, 2006 | Culture
Quick test of a new Firefox plugin called Deepest Sender. Check it out on the “Extend Firefox Contest” page here: