So, I call Time Warner and get them to run some packet loss tests on my modem. Finally, I get a wave of bad connection to happen while I have a tech on the phone. First it starts out with 10% packet loss to Dallas, then, while he’s talking to me I hear “ohh, it just jumped up to 25%, no, make that 30%, ok, I’ll schedule a technitian to come out, when’s good for you?”

Bout time.

Although I seriously believe the problem is not at my end. Continued ping and trace tests to Dallas show the same things. Routers just inside Time Warner and just on the other side, inside Level3, have massive and inconsistent packet loss. Tests to more major sites, Google, Yahoo, etc, get routed around the troubled router, but as things tend to happen, the server I’m trying to get to is IN Dallas.

Of course, just as a tech is scheduled to come out, we’re going to have a hurricane. Alright!

THe hurricane thing actually has me a bit worried. I’ve only lived through one and it was just an evacuation. I’ve lived through a blizzard and some ice storms and such, but a hurricane is a whole different beast.

Our evacuation plan is to head west near San Antonio. We have a room reserved at a vacation ranch we like to stay at, so at least we’ll be comfortable and happy. We’ll probably start packing up a few things tonight if I had to guess. Everyone is getting pretty serious about this down here. Gas is up, people are buying plywood, the whole deal.

What worries me the most is the fact that the town we’re in is in a huge flood plain. Meaning, for those unfamiliar, that when it rains, it all comes to us, away from the city. Apparently, the last large flood really messed up our neck of the woods. That in itself has led me to decide to take the harddrives from my machine (if not the whole system itself), the xbox, and anything else that isn’t nailed down.

I’m also considering sandbagging my porch and front door, although I don’t know if it would help any. I’ve also got to think about if we’re taking 1 car or both. Both is where I’m leaning at the moment. Yeah, the gas will be more expensive, but both our cars are pretty low, and wouldn’t stand much of a chance in high water.

Beyond that it’s just a lot of news watching and trying to figure out exactly when to leave. It’s pretty apparent at the moment that it’s coming here, or atleast close enough to be trouble. Already the area schools are calling off the rest of the week.

My boss and I talked about it briefly. He seems inclined to wait until the last minute to decide. I’m not that brave. I want out of here Thursday morning. Lauren’s family is freaking out a bit and might even leave Wednesday. I think that’s a bit extreme, although, in the wake of hurricane Katrina, I can’t blame anyone for airing on the side of caution.

Whats hard is convincing someone else, someone who’s in control of your schedule, what exactly to do in regards to a schedule. I say cancel the appointments the rest of the week and lets get the hell out of here. But what about tomorrow, or Thursday? Do people expect us to be open? Does my boss expect me to stay and help him?

We’ll see how this all developes, but, if you guys could keep a close watch on the news, as I’ll be doing, and pull for us a little, it would be a great help.

Once again, into the breach.

Matt out.