I’ve done it. I’ve gone ahead and ordered my new and final (for this build) computer components. Living with a “temporary” value graphics card for the past few months has taught me the importance of graphical horse power these days. Before you could get away with simply lowering your resolution a little, or turning off anti-aliasing or something. Not any more. CPU and memory aren’t a tenth of the importance that they were 5 years ago. Now, processors have flattened out a little and graphics are more important than ever. Hopefully my new beast will be able to handle whatever I throw at it. Here’s a run down of the final specs. New items I just purchased are in red.
- Antec SoHo file server case with custom paintjob
- SeaSonic s12 650W PSU
- Gigabyte S-series (MA790FX) motherboard
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
- 3Gb of Patriot Extreme DDR2 PC6400 memory
- BFG Geforce 8800GTS OC (92nm) 512mb (linky)
- Western Digital 500gb HD
- Samsung 20x DVD burner (sata)
- Plextor 20x DVD burner (ide)
- Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
- Vantec Nexstar external enclosure (for old HD)
Let the gaming begin!