I believe that from this point forward I’m going to make a somewhat vain attempt to be slightly more prolific in my writing. I guess I’d like to develop a style so that eventually, when time finds me, I may attempt “the great American novel”. I’ve always wanted to give it a try, and who knows, maybe this journal is simply a first step. Or, more likely, increasing my writing skills will serve only to mask my complete inability to spell worth a damn. Enough about that.

Today started normally with the alarm clock playing Harlem jazz to wake me up which is always a good way to start off a day. After the typical morning routine of showering, dressing and eating, I walked out of my door into the most wonderful of temperatures. A cool, clean, 60 degrees. Sunny and breezy. The kind of day that makes you wish you had nothing better to do so that you could spend it driving around with your windows down and the breeze coming in. The drive downtown was it’s usually rush of early morning commuters, all scurrying to work, all probably ten minutes late anyway, with they’re cell phones attached neatly to their heads as if they belonged there. And in the middle of it all was me, in my comfy jeans, sweatshirt and baseball hat, jockeying for position before the turning lanes down Abercorn St.

The trip was quick and I was soon parked at the dorms downtown, more than likely taking a spot from a freshmen who actually lived there. I never really feel bad since I’ve paid for my parking sticker and I’m more than allowed to park there. I’m sure it gets on the residents nerves as it got on mine two years ago.

I walked over to the darkrooms, nice and warm in my thin layers, watching native southerners run for cover when the wind decided to blow in their direction. Funny how it’s only 60 degrees and from the way they’re dressed, you’d think that snow was about to fall.

I got to the darkroom early, so early in fact that my professor was just walking in. My timing was fortuitous since he was unpacking a large shipment of Polaroid film and decided he had to many and offered me some. I gladly accepted, it being one less thing I’ll need to buy in the coming weeks.

After that class started, and sure enough, the R-3 machine decided it didn’t want to play today and broke soon after. R-3 is the process of printing from slide film for those of you who didn’t know. Luckily I had shot the same series on negative film so I was able to use those in the other machine.

Noon quickly rolled around, and I started packing up my things to go upstairs for Digital class. The class room was strangly vacant when I got there. Odd since I was about 5 minutes late. But there were other people from my class so I didn’t think to much of it. After a few minutes, the lab monitor walks in, looks at us and asks if we remembered that class was canceled today. Of course I hadn’t and felt stupid as a result. So back downstairs I went, to my locker, got my things and started the process of heading back home.

I almost made it too. You see, on the corner to Montgomery and Oglethorpe there’s a nice little Chinese restaurant that I’ve been wanting to have lunch at for two months. I finally broke down and did it since you really can’t beat $4.95 for lunch buffet and I was hungry. I ended up giving Nagle a call and seeing if he was busy for lunch. Luckily he wasn’t and was able to join me. I hadn’t hung out with Nagle in a while, he had been busy with a film project and I’m always in the darkroom or off doing something else, so it was nice to be able to have lunch.

After that I took the trip home, stopping at Wal-Mart along the way for a few essentials for finishing a 3D project tonight. And here I am. Doing laundry and trying to find interesting ways of saying that my day was pretty boring. Oh well. I did get some printing accomplished, so that’s a plus. If you’re lucky, I’ll post a few more scans of my color work tonight. We’ll see.